25 February 2011
I think I can summarize the feeling of most Canes fans out there..."Amazed at what Al Golden has done in such a short period of time, and equally dismayed at how poorly RS was running the show." We are excited and hopeful on the inside, but beaten down and tentative on the inside. The future sure looks bright...again.
In a few short months, Golden has (amongst other things):
1. Begun to, or already repaired relationships with local High School Coaches
2. Opened the program up to our Football alumni
3. Created the Junior Day concept, beginning the process of once again locking down the tri-counties
4. Salvaged a disaster by putting together a decent incoming class
5. Excited our fan base
6. Created off season nutrition and work out regiments
7. Put together what seems to be a solid staff of hard working grinders
But, here is where my internal and somewhat damaged Canes Psyche rears it ugly and shaken head. I am still nervous to predict more than a 7-8 win season. He inherits a team of players who play at or below their talent level. He inherits a team that shows up flat and emotionless for "big" games. He inherits a team that hasn't won a bowl game in how long? Is a few months enough to make a difference on the field in 2011? That is the question that creates my turmoil. I want to believe we can and should do better..realistically, "Hank" and Harris are the only truly big losses from last years team...but the bright light of hope has been washed away so many times in the past few years that I am very quiet on the outside, but bursting to yell my a.. off on the inside.
What if we whoop that OSU a..? I have no doubts we avenge UV and USF! What if we take cre of business up in Tally (like we normally do, check our all-time record up there!) What if we finally get to the ACC Ship?
I guess only time will tell.